[Tigers] loose rear hubs

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] loose rear hubs
From: "Owain Lloyd" <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:05:36 +0100
gosh, i am sorry to keep plaguing the list with my endless problems
but i need your wisdom again!  my car must be a real dog eh!

for several months now, my left rear wheel bearing has been a little
loose and making a sort of squashy wheel bearing noise.  i have the
bearings and seals and a custom tiger hub puller but was putting off
the work as i was going to put my posi and rear disc brakes on at the
same time.  however, i've got a vintage track day next month so
decided to do bearings today.

when i pulled the left drum off i found hub was loose on the shaft!
(i bet some of you wish you had my problem!) i pulled it off, checked
the key and filed the rear of the axle nut smooth and replaced it,
torquing the axle nut right up to the next hole for the split pin
which made the nut very tight indeed.  however, the hub still has some
rotational play on the shaft as if the key is too small and the wheel
still makes the same noise when rolling.   i think the bearings are
probably ok as, with the benefit of hindsight, i realised the noise is
worse when making a right corner and yet the forces should be
transmitted to the right side (inside) bearing in that case.

so what is the correct fix?  get a new key? a new hub?  any advice
much appreciated!

thanks,

- owain.