Re: [Tigers] Crossmember removal

To: tigers@autox.team.net, CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Crossmember removal
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:18:28 -0700 (PDT)
I'm not sure how others have approached this, but to the best of my
recollection (not what it used to be) this is a basic description of how I've
done it a few times.  Others are welcome to point out any errors or omissions,
etc.  There are probably easier ways, but I've always felt this is a "safe"
way to do it.

Tighten emergency brake.Loosen just a bit all front wheel nuts (do not
remove).
Disconnect steering shaft by removing pinch bolt at lower u-joint.
Jack the front of the car up just enough to remove front wheels.  Place proper
jack stands securely under car just behind each front wheel at the point where
the "X" crossovers meet the outside "frame."  You don't need a lot of height
here: just sufficient to improve access to crossmember and safely support the
car.  Lower car onto jack stands.Remove front wheels.
Place floorjack in front of car and push it under just enough to place lifting
cradle under middle of crossmember.  Gently raise
 jack until crossmember is "supported" BUT NOT LIFTED.  In another words...
the car's weight should still be supported by the jackstands (not the floor
jack).  The floor jack is just to "hold" the crossmember in place.Remove the
four (4) bolts holding crossmenber to vehicle.At this point, you can start
lowering the floor jack supporting the crossmember.  With the wheels removed,
it can be lowered enough to roll it out on the floor jack under the front of
the car.
That's how I remember it, but my memory isn't what it used to be.  Plus... my
memory isn't what it used to be...

Bill Waite
Grand rapids, MI