Re: [Tigers] Crossmember removal

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Crossmember removal
From: "Owain Lloyd" <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:46:35 +0100
put the car on axle stands under the jacking points to the rear of the
front wheels.
put a large trolley jack under the crossmember to support it.  i use a
hydraulic motorcycle lift that supports it well and then i chain the
sway bar to the jack / lift.  this stops the assembly rotating
backwards which it will try to do as you lower it.  remove the 4
bolts, taking care not to drop them inside the crossmember and lower
the jack/lift.  you may need to then jack up the car a little more for
the tires to clear the front valance as you pull the crossmember out.

its not too much hassle if you have a good solid base to support the
assembly with.

this is the lift i use:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cml2-hydraulic-motorcycle-lift/path/vehicle-lifts

its also useful when removing the engine out the bottom.