Re: [Tigers] Tigers and Jeep parts?

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>, Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers and Jeep parts?
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:03:37 -0500
Thanks Steve, I will consider the information carefully. I have had some of
the "regulars" contact me off-list and a couple were under the impression that
there was also a spline difference in the jeep carrier vs the one that came
stock on a Tiger. Reason for my inquiry, I do have access to at least 2 older
retired postal jeeps, and they could be purchased for next to nothing.....and
I dont have my original Tiger rear end. I once had planned on installing this
Jaguar rear that I have, and have probably decided it would be in the best
interest of my project not to modify the body that much, although I have seen
several jag IRS rears installed and looked great. ( I dont have any of the
original drivetrain components and im not restoring my car ) but I have other
projects now and I dont want to cut up my Tiger too much. I would be
interested in the Jeep rear if the entire rear end housing could be used,
otherwise, I might just pursue the pumpkin for resale on the posi units,
again, if applicable. I will say its not critical to me to install the
original type rear end ( dana 44) on the car, and I plan on running more than
the original power level...so im trying to keep my options open. I am running
a ford 9" in my pro street chevy, an 8.8 ford in my cobra and my 5.0 stang,
and in my 63 Falcon...., and have never had any trouble with them at all...but
they are probably bigger rear ends than what I would need right?

Cullen,

I am not sure that the previous communications on your interest in Postal
Jeeps was completely addressed.  I do NOT think any of the responses, or
measurements, dealt with the whole rear axle, but only the "pumpkin".

I understand the Jeep DANA pumpkin will exactly replace the DANA-Salisbury
original differential gear set.  Salisbury is part of the DANA organization.
I have the Salisbury version which is slightly different from the US version.
It was stock on some Jaguars, and the rear end ring gear bolt mounts are the
same as the original Tiger.

The differential gear holding bolts on the Jeep unit will not fit the stock
ring gear, but special bolts head/shank diameters are available through most
suppliers and installers.  Similarly, other than 2.88:1 ratios gear sets from
US Dana will fit the Salisbury ring mount with another special bolt set.

I do not believe that any of the previous communications were addressing the
entire rear axle.

___

Steve Laifman

Editor - TigersUnited.com

<http://www.TigersUnited.com><http://www.TigersUnited.com>

Cullen McCann wrote:

Thanks Chris! thats interesting....sounds like it might even give you a
little

more room for tire? ( not that we can get much under there, but maybe the

difference in offset would help?)

Chris - so it is posi?

I have a postal jeep rear diff here.  Axle flange to flange it is about 3/4

inch narrower than the Tiger Rear Diff.  Also, it has larger diameter brakes

and Ford Truck wheel pattern.

Regards-Chris

Thanks Ron, I understand. is it convenient for anyone to give me a dimension

of the Tiger Dana, from some measurable point, like flange to flange or back

of backing plate? The original rear end for my Tiger is long gone..