Re: [Tigers] Starter solenoid

To: <TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>, "Jerry" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Starter solenoid
From: "steve wick" <srwick@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:46:15 -0700
You have two circuits in the solenoid, a "start" circuit and a "hold" circuit.
It takes more electromagnetic force to start the solenoid moving than to hold
it in place. The higher force is generated when you first turn the key to
start moving the plunger. Both wires are generating electromagnetic force.
Once the contacts are made, you'll have 12V on both sides of the larger wire
and no current will flow through that circuit. Only the smaller "hold" circuit
will be energized until you release the key. This system allows higher
reliability in solenoid engagement without generating higher heat and risking
burning out the solenoid sooner. Hope this all makes sense.

Steve (in N.Id.)