Re: [Tigers] need some advice - non tiger

To: "tiger email list" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] need some advice - non tiger
From: "Owain Lloyd" <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:34:16 +0000
many thanks indeed for all of you who took the time to respond to me
on this issue.

unfortunately there was none of the bolt remaining (after my failed
previous attempts!) to weld a nut onto and the car was sitting outside
the garage making things even more complicated.  to cut a long (very
long) story short, i used a dremel with a chainsaw sharpening bit at
30,000rpm for about an hour which cut through the broken drill bit and
the steel bolt.  amazingly, it did not damage the aluminum and i was
able to clean the hole with a drill and re tap it to the original 6mm
size.   even more amazingly the hole was still aligned and the water
manifold bolted right up.

i also tried a diamond bit and a silicon carbide bit with less success.
the drill bit was a cheapo titanium nitride plated 1/16" bit from
harbour freight.  i must admit, for the price, those bits hold up
amazingly well without needing sharpening.

- owain.