Re: [Tigers] Multiple questions

To: "'James E. Pickard'" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Multiple questions
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:15:04 -0500
Jim
These are questions you should ask someone who is in the restoration
business for current recommendations.

The biggest problem with new weatherstrip is the release agent that covers
every square mm and every crevice of the rubber.
You need to get the release agent off.  I have tried many ways to get it off
and was never totally satisfied with any method.  I recently saw a program
that recommended TSP heavy duty cleaning solution but I have never tried it.

        The body to windshield molding I took off my Tiger had a gray caulk
on both sides.   It most closely resembled Mortell Mortite weatherstip and
caulking cord which comes in a coil that looks like rope.  It is a household
window seal product.  I also have some 3M 08578 Black Strip Calk that I used
for the stainless trim parts.

I would always recommend some sort of sealer here; body to molding, molding
to windshield frame to keep water getting to the mount holes which could
make your feet wet and to keep water away from the metal frame.

I'm not sure if I installed the glass on or off the car.  I think I would
try off the car first.

If you put any sealant around the glass it has to be very, very thin
otherwise the rubber will not fit right.  A little rubber cement might be
the way to go here.

As for the wiper motor; I would try to find out where it is binding and try
to relieve the problem.  I believe the whole assembly can be taken apart but
I have never gone there.  You might want to see what the amperage draw is
when it is in the bind position.  I'm not electrical so this is totally a
guess; you want to see 5 or less amps here.   Anyone have a better handle on
the amp requirements for this motor?

Ron Fraser