Re: [Tigers] On ebay and sniping

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] On ebay and sniping
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:46:00 -0600
For my $.02....

I try to be a good guy, but I have been sniping on eBay forever...pardon this
sidenote: its like gun control....you may not agree with it, but criminals
will always have guns, so do you want the government to take away your gun and
now just the criminals have them? Basically what I'm saying is that if
everyone does it, then you have to do it to compete, or you will lose. you
have to play dirty or don't play at all...I wish it wasn't that way so we
could all have plus I don't personally agree that sniping raises the value of
the item...I have gotten many and many items on eBay under market value by
sniping...the way I see it, a true auction mentality and purpose, like the
Barrett Jackson or any other, is to force the buyers competing to pay the
absolute highest that they are prepared to pay, as early as possible. For me
it might be a bit sly, but it's still just business... and I don't want to
establish my highest value at the beginning of an auction....just so all of
those others watching the auction can sit around for days and evaluate if they
want to pay more than me? I don't think so....I believe that is just this
simple:   (ready? this is the million dollar summary)  it's to the sellers
advantage for you to bid early, bid often, and bid as high as you can
tolerate.....and it's to the buyers advantage for you to bid low, bid quick
and few of times as possible and bid late...the later the better, leaving less
time for the bid price to increase.

Here is another scenerio for purposes of comparison....a guy is selling a
tiger and it's a MkII, and you know it but he doesn't, he thinks it's a mk1a
or an MG or something. ( and this guy is a total stranger, not your friend or
family...or even acquaintance..) Would you tell the seller that his Tiger was
a mkII, when he thinks it's a mk1a and you can buy it cheaper if the secret is
kept?

Some people are that noble...but not many...and sniping is the same thing.
It's a buyer's tool to get a good deal....and unfortunately its every man for
himself most of the time. Sorry if that offends people...but I feel it's the
truth of the matter for me.

CM