Re: [Tigers] Front Shock selection?

To: jteepen@usatoday.com, michael.s.king@gmail.com, fabbro@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Front Shock selection?
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:22:34 EST
In a message dated 2/17/2009 9:20:10 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jteepen@usatoday.com writes:

I am  curious where you saw the force/velocity dyno plots regarding the
Edelbrock  IAS shocks for Tigers.  Or was this for another Edelbrock IAS
application?  CAT has been selling these shocks for about eight years now  and
have had
very positive feedback.  Do you have personal experience  with these shocks?
If so, did you use them for a street car or a  autocross/race car?

To the best of my knowledge these shocks are not  intended to be, nor
promoted as, a competition shock, but are a good choice  for street cars with
occasional forays onto the autocross  course.

The shocks/struts which I saw dyno'ed were for a Fox Mustang application  and
were run on my friend's SPA shock dyno. These were the IAS "reds" and  are
marketed as performance shocks. The blow off as the Ricor/IAS  check valve let
loose on rebound made no sense to me, in a true performance  application. Also,
the shocks didn't appear to offer enough valving  to dampen the spring rate
we needed to work with on  the Mustang. I have been made aware that a couple of
Tigers have used the  CAT Edelbrocks in competition, however.

I think my earlier comments were colored by our considering using  the shocks
for open track/autocross, after comparing what type of damping  the shocks
provided relative to what our spring package required. Regardless,  I do think
the check valve effect on rebound is a gimmicky way to deal  with low
speed/high speed digression, but what do I know, Monroe has sold a ton  of
"Sensatracs"
and "Reflexes", so it obviously makes people happy! I wish we  had more off
the shelf options for the Tiger...Koni Sports (yellows) and  Bilsteins (easy to
valve and great quality design) would be nice to have  available!!

Mike

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe
bemailfooterNO62)