Re: [Tigers] Teething troubles.

To: tigers@autox.team.net, TheoSmit <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Teething troubles.
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:55:53 -0700 (PDT)
Theo- I know if the problem with the knocking was the valve train hitting the
valve cover you would find that fast. Im thinking that many responses
concerning the valve train are missing the knocking noise you have. I often
use a piece of broom handle as a stethoscope to locate a noise or where its
coming from. I want a mechanics stethoscope but I havent ran into a bargain
yet, so I continue to use a piece or dowel or the cut off broom handle when Im
looking for a noise. It is amazing how you can tell if it under the valve
cover or near the timing chain or the oil pan. To respond to your request if
anyone knows what might be knocking after what was a good engine, has set for
5 or so years. Nothing comes to my mind immediately but the first thing I did
think of was a main bearing. Also sometimes spiders can get inside and its
amazing how strong a cob web is- perhaps an oil passage is blocked. Last off
is the generator or alternator making a noise. Im
 gasping at straws BUT if you came to the list, Im sure you are grasping too.
please let us know what the noise is when you locate it.
TonytheTiger