Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings

To: "'Samouce's'" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 14:55:23 -0400
Duke
        SS lists the parts under Rear end parts; bearings, gaskets, shims
and seals.

You need a robust puller most of the time for these axles.   I thought there
was an article posted here about a puller someone made and put the drawings
online.

Here is an email from Theo that I think covers the puller.

Hi all,
Just in case anyone is struggling (or is about to) with pulling the hubs
on their rear axle I'd like to remind you of Dan Walters' excellent
article on the Tigers United website at
<http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp
>.
I built a much-inferior imitation of his puller in a couple of evenings
on my milling machine, but it was still good enough that I got a hub off
in less than 20 minutes from the time I rolled the jack under the car.
Admittedly, that was the second hub, and I rebuilt the puller's hub
plate between doing the first and the second hubs, but neither one
required any hammering, prying, or scary torque application on the hub
flange.

Thanks, Dan, for publishing your hub puller design.

Theo

I think you can jack the axle up and slowly turn the wheel and hear the
bearing growling at you.