Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 14:20:26 -0700 (PDT)
Duke- a member recently changed axle bearings himself and as Im in the process,
i ask him how he went bout it. I had responded to his request for a how to
press the bearing on with putting the bearing in the kitchen oven and the axle
in his deepfreeze and they wold almost fall on. he replied that he follwed my
thought except he boiled the bearings in water while the axle was in the
freezer and then used the old race and a pice of pipe to aid the bearing going
on- it did with ease according the his email. I too plan on replacing or
repacking my axle bearings and have my hubs removed but havent pulled either
axle. The drivers side hub was a bear but the passenger came off fairly easy.
the right puller is a must have tool. The Dan walters post shows an excellent
puller but I was able to use a puller a friend had. I was just lucky he had
bought out a place that had several style pullers and one did work for the
Tiger hub.
good luck, TonytheTiger