[Tigers] axle shims

To: Beamclub <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] axle shims
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:16:10 -0700 (PDT)
As per the norm, Im always working on my car the dy Im suppose to be leaving-
this time for SUNI. I just replaced the axle bearings and I have serious back
problems, so I took several days to do the entire project plus chasing down
orgianl type seals isnt easy either. I wasnt sure where the shims went on the
axle and the shop mannual didnt have a very good pic. The book also said there
should be equal thickness of shims on each side. well, my car had one shim that
was made from 1/4 " plate and a few thin ones- i didnt use it when I put the
axles back in. The book also says ther should be .006 to .008 of what Im going
to cal endplay- back and forth of the axle - whatever that is. When I left the
shop this moring, after working all night( stop laughing DaddyTiger) th Tiger
was purring. It hasnt be driven in a long time and suddenly I had a noise
coming from the rear end. Im goin to try to locate it but Im a bit afraid to
drive it. I left out the thick shim
 becuse what the shop man. said about equal ammounts of shims per side and too,
it looked home made and had a different size hole in its center. It might be
low on rearend lube- so Im starting there- maybe a brake came loose so i will
check that or maybe its a Ujoint- Ok, i didnt spin the tirs but I did wind
second gear out. I went first to buy gas, then headed home- all was fine for
about a mile- then I slowd down to go on the square( midwest towns have a
square in their center- along w/ the courthouse) and the knck started- i pulled
over becuse it sounded like a flat tire- wrong there. I went on home and the
knock went along with my speed- the faster I went, the faster it knocked- I
didnt go fast tho for fear of tearing something up- any advice is welcome and
knowledge about the shims is alos GOOD. I have until noon tomorrow to have the
Tiger at the StLois airport to pick up a hitchiker going to SD and if I dont
show up, my arse is kicked. Im so tierd
 I cant think and my front end shop , who I made an appointment with for this
a.m. is closed yeaterday and today- Whay I was told to bring the Tiger in is
beyound me. Throw me some ideas please. especially anyone who has had hands on
doing this job themselves. With luck I put a brake spring on wrong and it came
off and the brake shoe is the noise or maybe the key is hitting something as I
cleaned it up extremely better than it was. AND, its the hottest day of the
year so far in souuthern IL. or even Mo. Im melting down and I have to go to
SUNI. Norman say. Use my blood for brake fluid, make gaskest out of my skin- I
have to go to SUNI- Norman say.Buy gasoline with my change, I gotta go to SUNI,
Norman say.I have to meet my west cost friends and drink beer Im sure, I gotta
go to SUNI, Norman say.If the car doesnt go, what will i do? Norman didnt tell
me but I gotta go to SUNI, Schriner say.
TtT