Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)

To: "'spook01'" <spook01@comcast.net>, "'Thomas Witt'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:09:12 -0400
 The air dam that Tim Ronack designed and sold is very effective. It shears
air just below the cross member and causes a low pressure behind the
radiator. The faster the car the more effective it becomes.  The air dam is
very easy to install and when painted black, it disappears. Robin Young

hi all,
back in the 70's, we used a manometer to measure pressure under the hood of
a tiger at various speeds in various locations.
what we found was that air becomes trapped inside the engine compartment as
you whiz along the highway.
to allow it to escape, the factory put vents in the sides of the rally cars,
and some  guys put vents in the hoods, either at the rear corners (like the
LAT hood), or directly over the exhaust manifolds.
these areas correspond to the highest pressure areas under the hood.
raising the hood in the rear is not a good idea, since the base of the
windshield is also a high pressure area, and blocks air outflow from the
engine compartment.