Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)

To: "'Thomas Witt'" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:02:35 -0500
This is just more food for thought, with no scientific basis.

The F4B and many other small block Ford manifolds do not allow coolant to
flow through the back of the manifold between the heads as is done at the
front of the manifold. The earlier Edelbrock Performer, Weiand Stealth and
maybe others provided a passage at the rear of the manifold so that water
could flow between the backs of the heads.

I have been told that this improved overall water flow through the engine
and also helped to eliminate a possible air pocket in that area. On the
other hand, the extra hot water flowing through the manifold could serve to
bring more heat to the carb. Cooler engine vs. hotter carb?

Edelbrock and Weiand manifolds with the water passage are still common on
Ebay, but, since the manufacturers dropped the passage without changing the
model designations, you have to check the pictures to see if it is there.

I have no data to prove whether the extra water passage helps or hurts or
does some of both, so I would be glad to hear opinions/information from you
all.

A. C. Tynes
New Orleans