Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 11

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 11
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:57:59 -0400
Theo;

This is a concept I have not considered: are you saying that smaller
internal diameter oil filter lines will cause a drop in oil pressure to the
filter? or to the engine oiling system which could be seen on the oil
pressure gauge?

I have a set of "industrial" oil line hoses on my filter set-up, and am not
happy with my oil pressure as seen on my dash mounted gauge. I haven't
checked the internal dia. of the hoses so I don't know if they are indeed
smaller than they need to be, but it would be interesting if they are a
factor in my overall oil pressure.

Thanks for this bit of info.

Dave

  If you do get oil lines made at a hydraulic shop, make sure they
 understand that this is for a continuous-flow oiling system, not for a
 hydraulic application. Hydraulic hose and fittings have smaller IDs than
 oil hose, for the same hose OD and fitting thread sizes, and you'll get
 much greater pressure loss in the lines.

  Cheers,
 Theo