Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 11

To: "'Dave Munroe'" <dave@munroe.ca>, "'Smit, Theo'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 11
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:10:55 -0600
Dave,List

The normal pickup point for the oil gauge is after the filter (the point
just above the filter). So what you are reading on the gauge is actual
pressure going to the engine, but what is unknown is the volume of oil going
to the engine.  Now if one has good bearings and the engine is tight one can
assume that there is enough volume of oil going to all of the parts because
the pressure is high. However if you have loose (racing) tolerances the pump
might not be able to supply enough volume of oil to get the pressure you
want.  The same thing might happen with a "restriction" in the oil lines
prior to, or after, in the case of a remote filter.

All oil pumps that I know of have a bypass relief valve.  Nothing more than
a ball held in place by a spring of enough pressure to relieve pressure at a
predetermined pressure.  I know of no way of determining just what that
pressure is, however when you first start a cold engine it's a safe bet that
the highest pressure you are seeing is the pop off pressure. These are
positive displacement pumps so the oil has to go someplace.

When I buy a new oil pump I'm more interested in a higher volume pump than a
higher pressure pump.  If I had a "racing" engine the higher pressure would
be a better bet.

To get a higher pressure you need to change the relief spring, to get higher
volume you need a "taller" pump, one where the Gerotor is thicker (that also
gives higher pressure).

Jerry Christopherson
9473187