Re: [Tigers] Some thoughts on the Book of Norman

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Some thoughts on the Book of Norman
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:19:35 -0700
Mauro (all),

I just read Bill Martin's post after typing this, - but will send anyway.
I'm not intending to hammer a point, only inform.

  To the best of my knowledge Norm spent a considerable amount of time
creating TBON.  There was a situation with his publisher that resulted in
TBON no longer being printed.  An email I have from him says it was a 5 year
struggle to sell 1,000 books for $60.  As best I can surmise a "labor of
love" turned into a drawn out LABOR.

  About 2-3 years ago Norm sold a spare copy on Ebay. But unless he had
private sales once prices rose (I don't think he did) that likely was the
only profitable sale he had.  In another instance there were a handful (I
believe 10 or so) of printer error copies with a pages 101-116 missing.  A
party got a hold of these and sought permission to copy the missing pages.
To my knowledge Norm profited nothing allowing this, though the selling
party got $310 for my purchase of the last available printer error copy.
Norm was even kind enough to sign my copy before it was shipped.  I kind of
equate that thoughtfulness to a sports star losing prized possessions
through bankruptcy, yet still willing to sign memorabilia to the receiving
party. Hopefully my limited (and hopefully accurate) knowledge is helpful to
understanding the situation with TBON.

 Regarding the book.  There are 371 numbered pages.  Of those 371 pages 192
pages (roughly 52%) are devoted to the register.  That information is
available on Norm's site and far more up to date.  While I'm sure there are
sections of the remaining book that are exclusive, I can say that I have
seen similar information either on the web or in other books.

  In the end the escalating value of TBON took on a life of its own.  Sadly
the creator of the book seemed to find much frustration and little profit.

In closing my Tiger and copy of TBON hold no monetary value. In my lifetime
they are not for sale.  Hopefully my son will continue to be a "guardian" of
these treasures once I'm gone.  Do rising values make me smile, sure. But as
they say "it is only on paper."

Tom