Re: [Tigers] Tiger Engine Installation Techniques

To: gabbardalex@att.net, m_dangelo@verizon.net, bomber44@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Engine Installation Techniques
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:26:15 EDT
LOL, it takes me 30 minutes to disconnect the hoses and pull my radiator
out.
Mark

In a message dated 4/7/2010 10:51:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gabbardalex@att.net writes:

The easy  way:
engine removal:
1. block up engine & trans as the car sits; use  U shaped wood buck around
oil
pan.
2. disconnect drive shaft, trans  & engine mounts, all lines, radiator
hoses,
exhaust-to-body couplings,  etc
3. unbolt cross member
4. three strong guys lift front of car over  engine, roll back

done it! takes about 30 minutes

engine  installation:
reverse of above

done it! The easy way

Alex  Gabbard
own 2 Tigers, 1 Alpine for about 40 years;  parted out 1  Tiger, 1 Alpine

-------------- Original message from MAURO D'ANGELO
<m_dangelo@verizon.net>:
--------------

>  Rob,
>
> Thanks. I saved a copy of that. In the article, you  mention that you
would
> explain re-installation in a later issue. Would  it be possible to have a
> link to that article too? Thanks!  Mauro
>

> On 4/7/10 8:10 PM, "Rob Guerra"  wrote:
>
> > a few years back I posted a link to an engine  removal tech tip I wrote
for
> > the stoa newsletter (march 05). Here  is a link to a copy of that
newsletter

> >  http://tigerengineering.net/stoa/download.htm
> >
> > hope  this helps
> >

> > On Apr 7, 2010, at 2:55 PM,  MAURO D'ANGELO wrote:
> >
> >> Well, Steve, you asked for  it! I am looking for advice and/or
information.
> >> I noted  that lots of people say that the easiest way to remove and
install
>  >> engines into Tigers is from the bottom. The workshop manual shows
that
the
> >> procedure is basically putting the front of the  car on jack stands,
removing
> >> the hood and disconnecting a  bunch of ancillary parts, and then
hoisting
the
> >> engine  together with the transmission from the top. Seems pretty
doable.
>  >> Obviously, there are things I don't know. Why is doing it from the
top so
> >> difficult? What are the negatives to the factory way?  From the
bottom, I
> >> understand the car should be put up on  jack stands (only the front, or
both
> >> front and back?), and  the front cross member should be removed. With
that
> >> out of  the way, the engine should drop onto a dolly(s) with the
> >>  transmission. In theory, I understand this, but there are details I
do
not
> >> have. First, I am assuming that a hoist will still  be needed to lift
the
> >> weight of the engine to unbolt the  engine mounts and then to lower it
all
> >> the dolly. Is  this correct? Second, how do you lift the body enough
out
of
>  >> the way to be able to roll the engine/tranny out from under there?
Where