Re: [Tigers] Best Clutch Kit 289

To: Greg.Koss@TRW.COM, TIGERS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Best Clutch Kit 289
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:25:27 EDT
I think the CAT notes had an article that gave the exact locations to drill
 holes to get at the top bolts.

In a message dated 4/13/2010 9:00:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Greg.Koss@TRW.COM writes:

Yes, the  clutch can be replaced without removing the engine.  During my
"no
money " college days, I replaced the clutch in my driveway, by myself,
lying
on the ground.  The shifter and linkage must be removed from the
transmission,
the trans must be separated from the bell housing.  I  believe I may have
cut
holes in tunnel to access top bolts.  Boy!  Toploaders are heavy lying on
your
back.

>>> MAURO D'ANGELO  <m_dangelo@verizon.net> 4/12/2010 8:58 PM >>>
Thanks.   I agree about other cars (TVR and Cobra) weighing less than  the
Tiger.  I understood that Jerry was probably thinking of classic  American
cars that also used the SBF, like Fairlane, Galaxie, Falcon,  Mustang, etc.

I have not decided whether to pull the engine from the  top or the bottom
yet, actually.   Either way, please don9t  forget that my own time and
effort
costs me nothing (financially), so until  I can afford my own Aston Martin,
plan to rule my own budget with an iron  fist, but intelligently.   If I can
get away with $179 or $235  for a clutch that does absolutely everything I
need it to do  anything  more would just be overkill -- then it makes no
sense to spend any more  (the world according to Mauro).  Mind you, I9m not
talking about  skimping where skimping would affect the quality of the
build.
On the  contrary.  If you had any idea how much I have in the engine
itself,
you might be surprised.

Incidentally, the reason I decided  to press forward with the installation
of
the 289 is that the clutch on my  260 has begun to slip (takes a while to
grab).  I9m kind of bummed  because the 260 is running fine.  I think it9s
due to the close ratio  transmission paired with the tall rear gear.  In
this
regard, is there  any adjustment in the clutch of the Tiger?  If I could
shorten the rod  a bit, it might help.  Also, I was wondering, is there ANY
way to  replace a Tiger9s clutch without removing the engine?  I9d do that
for  the time being if I could.  Any ideas?  Thanks.   Mauro

On 4/12/10 8:23 PM, "michael king"  <michael.s.king@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13  April 2010 09:37, Jerry & Maureen (Mo)  <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
wrote:
>> Seeing as the Tiger is  probably the lightest vehicle that the small
block
>> was ever put  in, just about any pressure & clutch plate would work just
>>  fine.
>
> Well the AC Cobras and TVR's were probably a fair bit  lighter... but i
think
> clutch life largely depends on how hard you  are leaning on the car and
how
you