Re: [Tigers] Rear Brake Shoe Drag

To: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear Brake Shoe Drag
From: MAURO D'ANGELO <m_dangelo@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:56:23 -0400
Brad, I think Randy is right that this could be the answer.  I had the same
symptoms, which only got worse as time passed, on the front calipers on
another car.  Replacing the rubber hoses cured the problem immediately.
Basically, the idea is that fluid can make it through the hose to the
caliper or brake cylinder because it's pressured by the master cylinder. But
since the pressure is "one way", the fluid needs a clear path to return
toward the master cylinder in order to release the brake.  With an
internally swollen hose, the pressure gets stuck at the brake.  I hope that
makes sense. Hoses are cheap and the job is not hard unless you have a lot
of corrosion to deal with. Cheers.  Mauro