Re: [Tigers] Tiger oil cap

To: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger oil cap
From: David or Gary <wwwdg@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 18:12:58 GMT
That is my oil cap on eBay. From period photos I believe only the very
early cars (maybe 20 or so, if any) would have unvented non-nipple
caps. There is no (as far as I know) Tiger Air Cleaners made without the
"smog nipple" for the rubber tube vent line from the oil cap. Or a
special rubber plug (that I know of) to block the vent tube on the air
cleaner if a non-nipple oil cap was used.
The Tiger parts book was made up before everything was finalized. Even
though the Tiger parts book shows an unvented/no-nipple chrome oil cap,
all I have ever seen were black with a curved tube/nipple. I have never
seen an original LAT 2 kit so I can't say if the chrome oil cap had
a nipple, the Lat 2 photo shows an unvented cap, but they were probably
vented soon after being introduced.

The chrome "nipple" cap was available from Ford under part number
C4DZ-6766-B (see JPG attached) The "1960 to 1964 Ford Car Parts &
Accessories Text Catalog" Parts Book shows (I will try and scan it).....
C4TZ-6766-A (Black upturned spout) for Ford, Fairlane and Falcon, and
C4DZ-6766-B  (Chrome) for Falcon Special (4 Barrel). The book
actually states Black upturned spout and Chrome. Of course the nipple
Ford caps would have to have the nipple rotated to be correct for the
Tiger.
I will have to dig out my 1965 up Ford book and see what it shows, can't
locate it right now.

David Franchi

Oil Cap Link
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/21606493/386967955.jpg