Re: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?

To: "wsamouce" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 07:30:23 -0300
Hi Duke:

I have been doing the same calculation but for a different reason: I want
less sturm & drang from the engine room, not just better fuel economy.
Spending 17 hours at highway speeds with the"racket" reduced is a big
incentive for me.

I have driven to Midcoast, Maine the last two years to the annual "Tiger"
gathering at the Owl's Head Museum and both times got approx 25 miles to the
Canadian gal. (~21 miles/U.S. gal.) for the 1500 mile return trip.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuel-consumption-converter-d_850.html

My car also has a 3:09 rear end, but I am running 205x50Rx15 rear tires
(23.07" dia) 901.6 revs/mile. Absolutely no clearance problems on stock,
unmodified rear wheel arches.

But I think you should consider a different size - try 195x70x13. Should fit
no problem, and you get 876 revs/mile, a significant difference: 6.45%.

Here's a great calculator to make this comparison easy:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit&reset=yes

Only problem is, tire manufacturers recommend you don't change tire size
more than 3% for fear of the risk of brake failure. I have no idea how great
this danger might be, but I am running Wilwoods and vented discs up front,
with stock brakes in the rear, so I'm not too concerned. Do you have
upgraded brakes?

Dave
One way or another - see you there....

Subject: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?