Re: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:59:35 -0400
I went scurrying to the workshop manual. The original Tiger tires were
listed as 5-90x 13 with a rolling radius of 11.5 inches (Diameter 23
inches). I'm not interested in mileage necessarily, more interested in a bit
more ground clearance, so I was shooting for a diameter @ 24". I could
probably get some of that with new springs, but I need the tires anyway;
mine are thirty years old.

Either way if you go to a larger tire the speedometer will be off by a bit ,
but I'm sure there are shops that can calibrate it for me (Nisonger does
it). Anyhow, a 22 or so inch diameter tire will run at a somewhat higher
engine speed than a 24" tire. Wiki tells me C = Pi x D, so a tire with a 22
inch diameter rolls a bit more than 69 inches per revolution, a 23 inch
diameter tire rolls @ 72 1/4 inches per revolution,a 24 inch diameter tire
rolls a bit less than 75 1/2 inches per revolution.

I'll leave it to the engineers to complete the calculations, but it would
appear at first glance that going from a 23 inch diameter tire to a 24 inch
diameter tire isn't going to save you a lot of gas.

Tom
' 67 Mark 2