Re: [Tigers] Tiger ID

To: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger ID
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:03:11 -0700
Michael,

This is a subject akin to "Angels", "dancing" and "pin heads"

I can address the legal restrictions in California.  It is NOT legal to
remove a VIN from a car without express permission of the Highway
Patrol.  And this is only for authorized Auto Body Shops, and then only
to allow restoration of the body, and replacement on the same vehicle it
was taken from.

Are there exceptions?  Not to my knowledge - except some 50 years ago
when it was perfectly legal to remove the section of the Ford Frame with
the serial number stamped in, and re-welded to a chassis of another
frame (thus hot rods were born.  The concern here was traceability of
the car's history.

Even as late as the mid-70's, when we built our Red Toi fiberglass car:
(Have your sound on!)

 < http://tigersunited.com/articles/sl-mc/stevelaifman5.asp >

We met the requirements by actually building the car on my licensed VW
the  within the existing laws, as the chassis S/N was retained.  A few
years later the engine was replaced with a Pontiac Fiero V-6, we were
required to get it inspected and tested for the emissions requirement
for the year of the engine.

Other states may have other rules.  The TAC rules do not care whether a
Tiger has a Ford Engine, or anything else a "Concours" car must have.
Their requirement is that the Chassis rolled of the Tiger Jensen
Assembly Line, as was all original Tigers.  they have their own experts
with a lot of knowledge, and a secret list  of what the differences were
between  an Alpine and a Tiger.  So, in their eyes, the replacement of a
VIN from a Tiger, onto a car originally a Tiger would be acceptable.

Contact Tom Hall for details.  <modtiger@comcast.net>

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor