[Tigers] Electrical problem... Lucas or...Ford?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Electrical problem... Lucas or...Ford?
From: "Jim" <jim@island.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:57:44 -0700
I had a bit of a problem with the Tiger today.... Went to an English car
club show... an hour's drive... no problem. Backed the car in to a spot on
the grass and shut it down. About 15 min. later someone suggested that I
should be parked in a different spot... hopped in... turned the key to
'start' and 'click' ...  turned it again and... nothing... not even enough
to power the 'gen.' light !! Popped the trunk and about 3 of the cells on
the battery were literally boiling over ! I decided at that point that the
battery was cooked... for now or possibly forever... so I decided to leave
it alone and enjoy the show for the meantime....  I knew there was a parts
store very nearby so about an hour before the show ended I went over and got
a new battery . I got back and proceeded to install it, key OFF and
(luckily) in neutral. I hooked up the pos. terminal... and then as I touched
the neg. there was a big spark!... Hmmmm.... stuck it on there again and the
engine turned over and started !! Yikes !! So...to get me home, I took the
bat. cable and brown wire off the solenoid... put a bolt through them and
taped them up... push started the car..( key 'on' ). and drove it home.  I
haven't had a chance to put the Volt/ohm meter on anything yet but it's got
to be the ign. switch or the solenoid... at least I think so... not much
else there...

Any guesses? Or has it ever happened to anyone??

I'll start checking first thing in the morning but any input is more than
welcome and greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Jim... up the creek without a (functioning)starter.... in Canada

B382000446