Re: [Tigers] New Land Speed Record

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] New Land Speed Record
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:23:19 -0700
Jere, (Mayf),
  Thank you for clarifying.   A friend of mine (Mike Lefevers) built the
engine in the record holding Kugel & Lefevers Pontiac Firebird.  An article
I read stated that he got into the 200 MPH club.  Since that car holds the
fastest stock bodied record at over 300 MPH (and he was not the driver on
that run) I simply assumed one had to reach the speed to gain admittance. It
now leaves me to wonder how the article came to that conclusion???

>>> Er, no.  In order to earn entry to the 200 MPH Club the participant must
>>> set a record for their class in excess of 200 mph.  All records at
>>> Bonneville (sanctioned by the SCTA) require two runs with an average
>>> that is higher than the existing record.  The World of Speed event is
>>> organized by a group from Utah that oversees the event, but there are
>>> SCTA officials present that confirm all of the records.

 Jere<<<