Re: [Tigers] Engine Temperature

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>, "Smit, Theo"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Temperature
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:56:26 -0700 (PDT)
Couple of thoughts -

Does the Temp meter run off of the pulsing voltage
regulator too? If so then
those calculations might be off since the voltage
might be averaged in the 10
Volt range, as well as the baseline resistance of
the sender itself should be
factored into the entire draw at worse case 24
ohm thermistor + your resistor
PLUS whats is in the meter. The drop across
your resistor would have to be
calculated seperate to find its dissipation.
I would be very surprised if the temp gauge has much draw at all, and what is
likely in the temp sender is a termsistor and it can't draw much current at
all
or it would self heat and not be something that would work as a
temperature
measuring device. If all of this math is too messy, the easiest
way to check
would be to hook up you multi-meter in series in current mode
and measure (At
temp when reisistance is lowest),  I'll bet a 1/2 watt to 1
watt resistor is
fine. As mentioned you need to derate the capability of the
resistor if under
hood, double wattage would be about right on. Now saying
all that, this is Lucas
stuff so might run the generator through the temp
sender to save some wiring so
you may see a bit more draw....

Sandy