[Tigers] Exhaust smell

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Exhaust smell
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:26:03 EDT
Had my top up for the first time in about 3 years the  other day.  With the
top up I've always had an exhaust smell in the  car.  I haven't had the
hard top on for about 10 yrs., but I think I had  the same problem with that.
So, what's the consensus of the cause?  There are  no exhaust leaks and the
tail pipe ends go just about to the edge of the  bumper.  The trunk lid has
the original rubber which isn't torn, but  probably doesn't seal that well.
I figure the smell has to be coming in under the  trunk lid, around the
bottom of the soft top or in through the windows that  don't fit all that tight.
Years ago I actually sealed the area pretty well  between the trunk and the
interior of the cars...removed the floppy piece of  vinyl and put in thin
plywood covered with carpet. Also used fiberglass  insulation and sealed all
the cracks.  That didn't seem to help much.   So, at that time my theory was
the smell must be coming in around the bottom of  the top or around the
windows.
Do these things build up some kind of negative  pressure inside the
passenger compartment?
Would sure like to get rid of that  smell.
Mark L