[Tigers] Engine help, 302

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Engine help, 302
From: Gyroplanes@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:50:52 EDT
Hi All,
My rebuild was on hold for a month or so. I had to make the "big" camshaft
decision.

This is not my first engine build, but it is the first in a while, so I
read a lot and got more confused with each read. I have also called several
tech  lines.

I have a 1985 roller cam 302. It has stock fulcrum rockers (not rail  type)
and has pushrod guide plates.

A)  I splurged for a set of Edelbrock 60229 Performer aluminum  heads.

B) Edelbrock Performer 2121 Intake manifold.

C) Holley 0-1850 600CFM carb

D) I bought a Ford Motorsports  M-6250-B303 camshaft

E) Ford Motorsports M-6565-L302 pushrods

(on engine teardown, I found the engine has what appears to be a Edelbrock
2121 cam (per end markings)

1) I was told I can re-use my roller lifters, they are low miles since new.
 Your thoughts?

2) I read that the "stock" timing chain and gears are retarded for
pollution control. My chain and gears are a double row set with E3AE-A3A on the

gear. Any thoughts?

3) The replacement FMS push rods do NOT have the "collars" the originals
did. The collars look like a band of metal about 1/3rd the way up (or down)
the  PRT. I was told these are to protect against valve float? Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Tom  Milton
Lansing, IL.
1964 Tiger  project