Re: [Tigers] Engine help, 302

To: <Gyroplanes@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine help, 302
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:29:23 -0500
Tom,

I can help with at least the first question. Yes, you can reuse roller
lifters with a different cam, unlike flat lifters, though some people
recommend buying new ones. I would suggest using new lifter money towards
buying a set of roller rocker arms. Less friction means more usable power
and cooler oil. I don't know about the stud mounted rockers for the
Edelbrock heads, but the Ford B351 pedestal mount rockers fit under the
stock cast aluminum "Power by Ford" valve covers from the mid 1980's. I
believe those are the same dimensions as the "COBRA" and "TIGER" cast
aluminum valve covers.

To be on the safe side, you may want to disassemble the old lifters and
clean them, which is easy to do. Let me know if you need more details as I
just did it for a 302 I built.

I have not heard about the stock timing set being retarded. The number you
have is for a 1983 design. Given that a timing set is really cheap, I would
replace it so as to know exactly what I have.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes
New Orleans