Re: [Tigers] More cubes for Tiger

To: <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] More cubes for Tiger
From: "Scott Hutchinson" <shutchin@netjets.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:43:34 -0500
I imagine a deal was made sometime in the early sixties based on a prototype.

The prototype had a 260. Somebody very high up at Ford said 'you can have 7,000
some odd 260s for x dollars/pounds'. If the subject even came up about the 289
then the person at Ford said well that will be x+ dollars/pounds.

The leader/decision maker at Rootes, who may have driven the prototype and
found the performance adequate, said the 260 will be fine.

Contracts were written and a bunch of 260s were cranked out and put on a boat.

When the number of cars exceeded the number of engines a phone call was made to
whomever was the sales contact at Ford and more were requested.

Ford said, 'we don't make that anymore. But you can have a derivative that is
better.'

And so goes the story.

I do have one question for you lucky Tiger Mk II owners.  Does the 289 in a Mk
II have screw in rocker studs?  I had heard this was an upgrade that was
requested due to some unfortunate events surrounding high rpms.

Stuck in the snow in New England with an Old Tiger in the garage.

Scott Hutchinson
Pilot, NetJets Aviation

Mobile 843.290.2805

Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you
may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,  please
advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.