Re: [Tigers] Brake line flush-non Tiger

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake line flush-non Tiger
From: "Will Seay" <wseay@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:06:39 -0400
Mark,
I know that some manufacturers require replacing all fluids periodically as part
of their recommended maintenance so there is some legitimacy to this.  The
practice of "recommending" these procedures at intervals other than those
recommended by the manufacturer is just a revenue making scheme and it's little
short of a scam.  I recently took my '98 Z3 in for a VA state inspection.  While
I was waiting for the car there service technician approached me with a very
sober look on his face and showed me a list of "recommended" maintenance to the
tune of about $600.  He started by telling me that my oil "looked dirty" and
should be changed.  As the maintenance indicator indicated that I had at least
2000 miles before a scheduled oil change and because I had changed the filter at
mid interval, I told him to take a hike.  Likewise I told him I would follow the
manufacturer's (BMW's) recommendations on replacement of air filter and cleaning
throttle body, replacement of brake fluid (sound familiar), and replacing
serpentine belt - have you ever met a mechanic that didn't think you needed new
belts?.  I also told him to stuff his recommendation to lube all my hinges at
$80/hr.  I thought that that had settled the issue until he told me that the
serpentine belt replacement was required to pass state inspection.  I
begrudgingly went for the belt replacement ($164) but vowed to sick the State
Police on them if I found that the replacement was out of line.  After calling
the State Police and being transferred to voice mail twice I decided to check on
the internet.  I found that the inspection procedure requires inspection for
cracked, frayed or missing power steering belt.  Almost a license to steal when
determining the belt condition is left up to the mechanic's judgment. For the
record, BMW considers the belt to be a "lifetime" part, i.e. replace it when it
breaks.  I think I will find another inspection station when I take the car in
next year.

-Will

Will Seay_____________
wseay@embarqmail.com