Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor voltage

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor voltage
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:11:26 -0700
Andy,
  The voltage needed (desired) is dependent upon the coil used.  So, if your
using a stock coil it should be what the factory dictated (sorry, I don't
know that voltage).  If your using an aftermarket coil the resistance should
be that spec-ed by the coil manufacturer.   If one is running a Pertronix
module (many do) you need to be careful to wire that to switched 12 volts -
and then have the output go through the resistor to the coil. A common error
is to wire the Pertronix after the resistor and the voltage can be too low
for it to operate properly.

Lastly, I recall the wire wound resistors actually having the voltage change
as temperatures rise and fall (anyone confirm???).  Sorry I can't directly
answer your 12V vs 10V question.  On the other hand I have dealt with a
similar situation and found myself being "the dog chasing his tail" because
there were many things to factor beyond that which seemed obvious. So, with
that in mind I thought I would throw this out there.

Tom Witt

 Hey, guys:

tigers@autox.team.net