Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor voltage

To: "rfraser@bluefrog.com" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>, "awtiger@cox.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor voltage
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:49:07 -0700 (PDT)
Anyone not running a stock setup might want to make sure the syestem they have
does or does not make use of the ballast resistor. For example I have an
Accell electronic distributor and a few months after installation the engine
wouldnt start on occasion until it cooled off. I was stumped as I had power to
the dizzy after checking the BR- which was the very first problem I had with
my first Tiger not starting in 1972 and I had no idea what the darn thing was
or why it was there- anyway in time the engine finally would not start, even
after becoming cold. I reinstalled the old dizzy and called the Tech line at
one of the major parts suppliers( which one, I dont recall) and was informed I
had to supply 12 volts ALL the time to that syestem or the replaceable
electronic board for lack of the correct name would and had burned up from to
small voltage supply. Ive carried a spare since but have never had the problem
repeat- just had other owners ask why I had
 the BR by-passed..

Thanks Andyfor your post  as I learned the information
about what voltages where suppose to be with the points closed as I had just
always checked the resiatance at the BR and to make sure it was working.
TtT

>Hey, guys:
>
>How much voltage should get through the ballast resistor
going to the
>points?  My multi-meter shows a full 12 volts going in and 10
volts coming
>out.  I was always under the impression that the resistor was
supposed to
>cut the voltage to the points almost in half.  Which is correct?
>
>Thanks,
>Andy Walker
>Edmond, OK
>B382001600LRXFE
>TAC #740
>

>No
virus found in this incoming message.
>Version:
8.5.449 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3919 - Release Date: 09/25/11