Re: [Tigers] Tiger Cooling

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Cooling
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:00:22 -0700
It seems Tiger have heat issues in two areas.  One, at idle and for some, at
speed. The blocking of the horn holes has always been a point of interest
for me. I grasp that they prevent recirculation of air that has just passed
through the radiator - at idle. This seems to indicate that even at low
(idling) fan speeds the exiting of the hot air from the engine compartment
is insufficient. This seems to further be supported with comments by Tim
Ronak that the air dam generates negative pressure (at speed) and thus helps
to draw the hot air out of the engine compartment.

Thus I have come to ponder horn holes covers that rather than fixed, have a
hinged, lightly spring loaded cover that moves inward. This would prevent
the recirculation of air while stationary, but provide an intake of cool air
to dissipate heat from headers etc., while in motion. This of course only
being effective if the exiting air is sufficient. It would be interesting to
test the effects (flow and temperature) of a stock hood popped loose, the
LAT hood, and those cars with screened vent holes in the rear of the inner
fender - etc.

 The process of cooling a Tiger could be like a dog chasing its tail. Is the
radiator too small, the water pump not moving enough coolant (or too much as
some have suggested), the fan having insufficient blades (or pitch),
insufficient pump & fan speed, the ratio to coolant to water.. have I
forgotten anything???? Or is it the exiting of heated air insufficient? It
seems since heat dissipation is essential, getting sufficient air out from
under the hood is the first place to start. Everything else (radiators, fans
etc.) regardless of how effective, pretty much just adds to the heat load of
the underhood temperatures.

Then there are those who have a clogged system.., a collapsing lower hose..,
and/or an inaccurate gauge.

Tom