Re: [Tigers] Tiger Cooling

To: "CoolVT@aol.com" <CoolVT@aol.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, "dave@munroe.ca" <dave@munroe.ca>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Cooling
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:35:55 -0500
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
That kind of thinking is pretty suspect, but in order to really compare the
effectiveness of the radiator construction you have to look at all of the
contributing factors:

-          The radiator core is not made of either pure aluminum or pure
copper, and a little bit of alloying metal can have a large effect on the heat
transfer coefficient.

-          The cores are THIN. Therefore, the heat transfer coefficient of the
core is not as critical as the surface area of the tubes and whether or not the
coolant flow through the tubes is laminar or turbulent; or whether or not the
airflow between the tubes is laminar or turbulent.

-          Most brass radiators have the cores lined up in a row. The third or
fourth row does not do much cooling. Most aluminum radiators have only two rows
of fins, and they may be staggered so that each row has more exposure to the
incoming airflow. Part of the reason that aluminum rads work better in many
applications may simply be that they flow much more air.

-          Gotta look at long-term chemistry in the cooling system too. What
happens to your coolant over time b does it coat the internals of your cooling
system with a layer of gunk? If so, it may clog the core tubes; at least, the
cooling system efficiency will be determined by the heat transfer coefficient
of the gunk rather than the core tubes. I donbt know if aluminum is
intrinsically better than brass there b but I will be careful to run distilled
water/coolant mix as opposed to a tap water mix, so as to prevent issues with
calcium deposits.
Theo