Re: [Tigers] MK II wiring help

To: tigers@autox.team.net, " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] MK II wiring help
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:37:55 -0400
Sender: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net
Ron:

I don't know if this will help but the Shop Manual shows the wiring for
an ammeter for a MkIA but not for the MkII.  I know the ammeter was
optional on the MkIA and the wiring diagram shows the ammeter with
dashed lines replacing the wire that runs from the "B" (Battery)
terminal on the voltage regulator to the terminal on the solenoid that
is connected to the positive battery terminal.  I conclude from this and
seem to remember that, on my MkIA, the large brown wire going to the
voltage regulator comes from the solenoid rather than directly from the
alternator/generator.

At least some of the MkII's had ammeters that matched the other
instrumentation but it does not look like they were delivered from the
factory that way which is probably why it is not shown on the wiring
diagram.  Since the MkII's used alternators, I recollect that the
ammeter range was higher,  + or - 50 amps, while the MkIA's were + or -
30 amps.

In the CAT Notes there is an entry entitled, "Ammeter Installation" from
Greg Tuttle added in the Mid-70s, it says.  To quote,

"... Before doing anything, disconnect the battery. ...

Next, remove the large brown wire from the top pole of the voltage
regulator.  Remove connector and solder splice another piece of 10 ga
wire and run back through the firewall to the + (plus) side of the
meter.  Run another piece of 10 ga wire from the - (negative) side back
to the regulator and attach to top pole.  Use suitable connectors at all
four points, as a lot of current passes through them.  Tape splice as
necessary.

Wire lamp by inserting plug on red wire into connector in harness under
dash; ground black wire to tach mounting post.

Check that connections are tight and well insulated and reconnect
battery.  Turn lights on and verify needle moves to - or discharge side
of meter.  If needle shows + or charge with lights on, reverse the two
wires on the back of the meter."

Although the instructions may have been written for the MkIA, they
should also work for the MkII because the large brown wire, in both
cases, carries the current to and from the positive terminal of the
battery, and that is, of course, what you want the ammeter to read.

Good luck,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE