[Tigers] Shelby Obits

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Shelby Obits
From: Carlo Bernardino <crbdino@me.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:41:04 -0700
Sender: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net
Like everyone in the Tiger community,  I was saddened to hear of his passing. I
also was saddened that I will not be able to meet the man, at a show or
elsewhere. It would be need to shake the hand of one of my automotive heroes.
However, one things that I find interesting that none of his obituaries in the
press even mention remotely the Tiger and his involvement. Some mention great
minute details of his life in Africa, or his chili pursuits, or how he helped
with the Omni GLH and other cars. But no Tiger. I know I am speaking to the
choir, but it is as good a time as any to set the record straight.

Autoweek just posted a list of Shelby's 10 most important cars, and I wrote
Dutch Mandel, one of the editors, mentioning the Tiger's omission. He countered
that the tiger was like the Toyota 2000 GT that Shelby raced. I wrote back
saying the two are not at all analogous. Furthermore, we could argue that he
did more engineering in the tiger's case than lending his name on the modern
Shelby mustangs or Omni pocket rockets.

Rob

Rob in Carmel, CA
1966 Mk1A Tiger