Re: [Tigers] Chambered exhaust systems?

To: "MWood24020@aol.com" <MWood24020@aol.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Chambered exhaust systems?
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 02:07:56 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
I have a pair of the original LAT-73 (?) Mitchell mufflers sitting in my
garage. I can measure them for length - they just fit between the front
exhaust hangers and the rear axle. I currently have some 3-chamber 50 series
Flowmasters in there (2" center in, center out) that take up pretty much all
of the available width, and they also come within a couple of inches of the
available length.

Way back when, we did some dyno tests on various mufflers for racing purposes
(while trying to get under the sound restrictions at some local tracks). We
tried turbo mufflers, glasspack (Thrush type), the blue bottle resonator type,
as well as the Supertrapp end-of-the-pipe baffle style. The blue bottle won
out, and it actually had a more mellow sound than the Supertrapp and the
Thrush mufflers. This was before Flowmasters really hit the market; I forget
if we actually did try those on the dyno at some point but from a seat of the
pants perspective they did okay on power as well as being good for noise
suppression. The fact that they were totally bombproof was a plus.

I like the Flowmaster sound but I may put an H-pipe or X-pipe in there to try
to cut a little more of the bark out. I'm also open to suggestions for a good
modern turbo muffler that has decent sound without drone problems.
Theo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.