[Tigers] Bad Fuel Pump?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Bad Fuel Pump?
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:26:39 -0400
Hello All:

Yesterday, Dexter Polistock and I took our Tigers to a small foreign car
show on the village green in Camden, Maine. Camden is somewhat famous as
the setting for the scandalous fifties movie, Peyton Place and is a
lovely little village with a beautiful harbor on Penobscot Bay. On the
way back to my home (about 15 miles), I had just made the turn off US
Route 1 and was about a mile from home when my Tiger coughed once or
twice and died. I pulled over and tried to restart without success.
Further investigation revealed there was no gas in the carb and the fuel
pump was not making its usual ticking noise. We wiggled the wires and
gave the pump a couple of whacks without success. Pretty clearly it
seemed, the fuel pump had given up the ghost. Eventually, we got the
Tiger home to the garage thanks to Triple A. A couple of hours later, I
went out to the garage and, for no particular reason, turned on the
ignition only to be greeted with the normal clatter of the pump. Joseph
Lucas playing with my mind, again.

The pump I have had in the car for about 30 years was a replacement for
the SU that bit the dust way back when and has been dead reliable for
all that time. On the pump it says "Auto Pump" and has a sticker that
says "AP 11" and "Made in N.Z." It obviously has the traditional points
(hence the ticking) to do the switching but was one of the new breed of
solid state pumps that so improved the longevity (no self-respecting SU
would have lasted 30 years, I don't think, without frying its points).
My guess is that the heat from the exhaust finally got to it and it
packed it in, only to recover when things cooled off. However, before I
bite the bullet and buy a new pump from Rick, I wanted to know if there
is any other possible explanation that I can check out before buying a
new pump?

Also, does anyone have any info about this particular fuel pump and
whether it can be repaired?

In talking to the folks at SS and VB, it seems that SU replacement pumps
are currently unavailable due to the gas being used in Britain playing
havoc with their pumps, so I'm wondering what are the alternatives? I
have heard of some people using a pump made by Facet and was wondering
if anyone had the model number or if there are other alternatives? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tod
B38200238XFE