Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird tool

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird tool
From: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
Since we're bragging about the size of our nuts (it's a guy thang), when I was
in college I used to work as a pipe fitter's helper at the Standard Oil
refinery in El Segrungo, CA. We had nuts that were 10" across the span and
weighed over a hundred pounds each. They went on the flange bolts to the
openings in pressure tanks. It was a butt-buster just getting those nuts
threaded onto the bolts. The socket to fit over these nuts was almost just as
heavy. The air hammer weighed over 350 lbs and had to be lifted using a
come-along or chain-fall. It had a 1" diameter, 2 feet long pipe coming out
each side that me and another poor sap held onto to stabilize it while it
drove the nut on. I can't remember what the torque was, but it was huge. It
was dirty hard work, but the pay was great for a poor starving college
student.

I can only imagine working on an ocean liner engine.

Gary