Re: [Tigers] Evans coolant

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Evans coolant
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:22:42 -0800 (PST)
I looked at running this a long time ago and figured that the cost was too
high for what it would do for me. It was about 30-35 bucks a gallon and did
not cool as well as water or water/antifreeze from what I could find on line.
The other problem is what is the problem that is really trying to be solved?
Rust, cooling corrosion? Run a pressure-less system? Most modern anti-freeze
solves all of that and is inexpensive when you want to drain and work on the
car.
In my 65 mustang with aluminum block and heads and radiator. I run
distilled water and water wetter, that's all. Been using it for about 10 years
now without any issues. The car sits for a long period of time and don't
really say anything in the cooling system to worry about. I change the water
when I blow the motor and it's been changed about 3 or 4 times in 10 years.
If
you are wanting to run a no pressure system because of heater cores, likely a
better option to fix the old heater core IMO.
Last one is if you do track the
car I think this falls under the rules of if you have antifreeze and you spill
on the track, you pay for clean up if you have a problem, and they track clean
up guys I had a chat with say it's easier to clean up oil the anti-freeze as a
side note.
Also lots of different coolants to try today, look at what some of
the Diesel folks are running, it's different then the 'green' stuff, but not
sure how it applies to regular automotive. I run some odd 'red' OAT stuff in
my Super Duty which had very different requirements then the tiger motor, but
it's supposedly a very good coolant.
The question, I guess, does it keep your
car from boiling over, and if so does that mean it's cooling better or just
not boiling over, because running your motor at 375 degrees before it boils
over really is not a helpful thing ;)
Caution, lots of 2 Cents in the above...
Sandy