Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

To: "'Bob Josten'" <bob@rjosten.com>, "'Rense, Mark \(GE, Appl & Light\)'" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:11:26 -0400
Cc: 'Tiger's Den' <tigers@autox.team.net>
Bob
        I agree the Pertronix has been very reliable.  I think I installed
mine about 1980.

Mechanical advance is for performance
Vacuum advance gives you economy on the highway

Ford has what I call 2 styles of distributor; early style has an oil port,
later style has a tri lobe center section.

The early style has wear points at the advance weights which can hang up the
advance curve.
The later style eliminated those wear points and has a smoother advance
curve.

My thoughts are that everyone should check their advance curve so they know
the distributor is advancing correctly.

I like more MPG so I'm sticking with the stock distributor with vacuum
advance.

Ron Fraser