Re: [Tigers] Rear Main seal issues

To: atwittsend@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear Main seal issues
From: spmdr--- via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 06:26:51 GMT
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Full-name: "spmdr@juno.com" <spmdr@juno.com>
Tom, Yes, I am referring to the Rubber 2 part seal to replace the Ropes.

I don't remember the last time Fel-Pro had Ropes in their premium gasket sets.

As far as trimming, I have been trimming one side/end of each half.

So that the trimmed end contacts the non-trimmed end of the other half.

I usually trim the seals until the Main cap fits down to the block when torqued.

I use a .002 feeler Gage to check the main cap to Block joint.(without the
bearings, with seals), when torqued.

The last rubber rear main seals I trimmed started (before trimming) with the
Main cap held away from the bock something like .011 .

I have not measured the slots that hold the seals, but I suspect Ford's
tolerance there is quite loose (inconsistent)!

I have not been keeping track of how much the trimmed seals stick up from the
surface of the cap or block,

but maybe .020-.030 for each seal half, total?

DW