Re: [Tigers] The windshield job continues, finally

To: Stu <sabre2tgr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] The windshield job continues, finally
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:07:55 -0700
Cc: Tiger Net <Tigers@autox.team.net>

--000000000000df6a5e058ff545f0

I had the exact same issues when I did this 20 years ago.  My windshield
from the factory was smashed down to the top of the car.  I've seen other
Sunbeams the same.  I don't have a solution.  I did end up stripping the
foam under the dash top all the way back to basically where the inside
rubber seal started.  Kind of helped, but not 100%.  I did have the
wedges.  I don't know if that helped or hurt.  And once it was all in, and
adjusted, I am not 100% convinced the back of the windshield lines up to
the front of the quarter window as good as it used to.

I also remember trimming the rubber seal somewhere so that it could
compress more.  I don't recall anymore where that was.

I think I spoke with Rick about it then.  I think he might have said to
just keep tightening.  Perhaps I didn't have enough courage to tighten it
enough.  I did not trust those studs to not break off the frame. I did try
to have someone push down on the top of the frame/windshield to squeeze the
rubber while I tightened the nuts.

I hope some if this helps.  I don't think I will pull it apart.  But I hope
someone has some good solutions.  Fortunately the Tiger is still original
and fits well.  Maybe I will take a closer look and see if I can see any
differences.

Jay

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:02 PM Stu via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
wrote:

>  With vacations, weekends away, concerts and whatnot finally not
> interfering, my son and I finally got back to my windshield job this
> weekend. Progress: The glass is in the frame. Not perfect, but the gasket
> is seated all around, though I have a suspicion that the VB glass could
> have been curved just bit more on one end.
>
> Then we tried to mount it to the car. Easy? Of course not. We just can't
> get the frame to seat down far enough to push the gasket all the way down
> to the body. The middle looks pretty close, but we haven't fully tightene=
> the nut yet.  Driver=E2=80=99s side looks closer, but the passenger side =
is nowhere
> near close enough.  and it just doesn't seem to want to go down any
> further.  I have Rick's angle adjusters installed, but I can see they are
> not causing the problem.  And the adjusters are far enough off center in
> the tubes that i can't get the modified socket on.
>
> The gasket is currently sticking out beyond the end of the frame on both
> ends, I was going to cut it off even with the frame once installed. The
> tubular part of the gasket is all inside the frame like it should be. Is
> this gasket supposed to be trimmed BEFORE the ends of the frame, at least
> on the inside? I have the pieces that make up most of my old gasket, but
> not the ends, so I have nothing to go by.
>
> I did a lot of trimming of the foam inside the new dash pad so I don=E2=
=80=99t
> think the problem is there.
>
> I'm tempted to do some additional dash pad cutting, but before I do, are
> there any clues out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stu Brennan

--000000000000df6a5e058ff545f0

=C2=A0 My windshield from the factory was smashed down to the top of the ca=
r.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve seen other Sunbeams the same.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t have a so=
lution.=C2=A0 I did end up stripping the foam under the dash top all the wa=
y back to basically where the inside rubber seal started.=C2=A0 Kind of hel=
ped, but not 100%.=C2=A0 I did have the wedges.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t know if t=
hat helped or hurt.=C2=A0 And once it was all in, and adjusted, I am not 10=
0% convinced the back of the windshield lines up to the front of the quarte=
ber trimming the rubber seal somewhere so that it could compress more.=C2=
div><div>I think I spoke with Rick about it then.=C2=A0 I think he might ha=
ve said to just keep tightening.=C2=A0 Perhaps I didn&#39;t have enough cou=
rage to tighten it enough.=C2=A0 I did not trust those studs to not break o=
ff the frame. I did try to have someone push down on the top of the frame/w=
/div><div>I hope some if this helps.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t think I will pull it=
 apart.=C2=A0 But I hope someone has some good solutions.=C2=A0 Fortunately=
 the Tiger is still original and fits well.=C2=A0 Maybe I will take a close=
tr">On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:02 PM Stu via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ti=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">
=09
=09

=A0With vacations, weekends away, concerts and whatnot finally not
interfering, my son and I finally got back to my windshield job this
weekend.  Progress:  The glass is in the frame.  Not perfect, but the
gasket is seated all around, though I have a suspicion that the VB
glass could have been curved just bit more on one end.</p>
 we tried to
mount it to the car.  Easy?  Of course not.  We just can&#39;t get the
frame to seat down far enough to push the gasket all the way down to
the body. The middle looks pretty close, but we haven&#39;t fully tightened=
 the nut yet.=C2=A0 Driver=E2=80=99s side looks closer, but the passenger s=
ide is
nowhere near close enough.=C2=A0 and it just doesn&#39;t seem to want to go=
 down any further.=C2=A0 I have Rick&#39;s angle adjusters installed, but I=
 can see they are not causing the problem.=C2=A0 And the adjusters are far =
enough off center in the tubes that i can&#39;t get the modified socket on.=
gasket is
currently sticking out beyond the end of the frame on both ends, I
was going to cut it off even with the frame once installed.  The
tubular part of the gasket is all inside the frame like it should be.
   Is this gasket supposed to be trimmed BEFORE the ends of the
frame, at least on the inside?  I have the pieces that make up most
of my old gasket, but not the ends, so I have nothing to go by.</p>
d a lot of
trimming of the foam inside the new dash pad so I don=E2=80=99t think the
problem is there.</p>
9;m tempted to do some additional dash pad cutting, but before I do, are th=
ere any clues out there?</p>
ks</p>
m.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; rel=3D"noreferrer=