Re: End Float, & too little?

To: rorr@eagle.wbm.ca
Subject: Re: End Float, & too little?
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Fri, 19 May 95 12:05:38 CDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rod wrote:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to have too tight an end float (TR6)?  I
>installed 2 new +0.005 thrust washers last weekend and could only get both
>in by first installing 1 only half way and then starting the other one in
>from the other side of the crank.  Once they were both in half way, it
>wasn't too hard to move them into proper position.  I'm wondering now,
>however, if things can be too tight.

Absolutely! The thrust washer will live a long and happy life as long as an
adequate oil film is maintained on its surface. The design clearance allows
for this oil flow from the pressurized oil passages in the crank. No oil
film means metal-to-metal contact and _instant_ destruction. Do not start
the car without clearance!!

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com