Re: End Float, & too little?

To: rorr@eagle.wbm.ca (Rodney Orr)
Subject: Re: End Float, & too little?
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 13:39:04 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rodney Orr writes:

 > Does anyone know if it is possible to have too tight an end float (TR6)?  I

Yes, and if it's too tight, it won't be for long.  :-(

 > installed 2 new +0.005 thrust washers last weekend and could only get both
 > in by first installing 1 only half way and then starting the other one in
 > from the other side of the crank.  Once they were both in half way, it

I had the same problem when rebuilding my '75 TR6.  The spec says that
the free float can be from .004-.008.  Mine was .009.  I put in a new
.05 on one side, and a new standard thrust washer on the other.  Put
the float right at .004.  Of course, this is all from memory, and this
was about 4 years ago.  Check the float with a feeler gauge, the
procedure should be in the Bently manual.  (I'd give you the
procedure, but don't have access to the info right at hand... Sorry!

Cheers,

-Scott