Re: Spit 1500 competition doc/parts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 competition doc/parts
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 17:31:04 -0400
Jay Pudvin writes:
>I'd like to get one of my 1500s ('77) into road racing.  Does anyone know
>where I could find:
>- specs for a full roll cage configuration that conform to the SCCA GCR

Um, I think these are in the SCCA GCR, section 18.  Probably the best
way to go is get a welded-in cage from a reputable local builder.  Will
cost you more than a bolt-in bar, but how much is your head worth?
Also, a well-built welded cage will add boatloads of rigidity to the tub.

>- a resource for competition parts (I've got Moss, TRF, V. British catalogs)

Check in the back of SportsCar (the SCCA magazine).

>- documentation discussing modifications/tuning for competition (is the
>factory Competition Prep Manual very complete?)

The factory (Kas Kastener's) manual is pretty good.  It covers the basics
and then some.  But as Kas says, "No, that's not in there.  If everything
were in here, it would be called the LA phone book."

Someone also suggested (quoting):
>TUNING MANUAL FOR STANDARD TRIUMPH CARS PRODUCED
>BETWEEN 1959 & 1980
>by G.H.THomas
>Published by : G T Special Tuning Products
>                     124 Alderman's Green Road
>                     Coventry, England
>He goes through various levels of tuning from fast road to full race for
>most models. Also, there is much more supportive information included
>than in Kastner's sometimes optimistic publication.
Don't know where you can find it this side of the pond, maybe Classic
Motorbooks (mail order - advertising in Road&Track).

And if you haven't joined SCCA yet, do it know, if just to get the member
discount on rules books and the subscription to SportsCar.  Call them at:
SCCA National office    303-694-7222
Rally/Solo              303-779-6622
FAX                     303-694-7391
Club Racing             303-694-7229
Pro Racing              303-694-7223
Central Licensing       303-694-6507

BTW, what class are you going to run in?  And where are you located?

Good luck,
Dave Williamsom (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits - hoping to race one of them