Wire Wheels and Luggage Rack

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire Wheels and Luggage Rack
From: <Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU> (Allan W. McClure)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 9:08:09 -24000
Hello all,

I plan on going to the VTR Annual Convention in Albany next July and, because
they'll be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the TR3, I have a few upgrades
to mine that I'll be doing over the winter.  One is changing to wire wheels,
and another is adding a luggage rack, and I have some questions on both.

On wire wheels,
        1.  Moss is currently having a sale - $999 for four 48 or 60 spoke
chrome wire wheels.  But British Wire Wheel sells them for $200 each
(x4=$800) - a much better price obviously!  Any difference in quality I
should be aware of?
        2.  BWW has spoke options of chrome or stainless steel - what's the
difference here?  Are the stainless as bright as the chrome?
        3.  Do I really need to change the lugs to shorter ones to accomodate
the wires?  Or can I cut them?  If I need to change them, what's the process?
        4.  Does anyone have a new or lightly used set of splines for sale,
or should I just buy new ones to be safe?
        5.  BWW and Moss catalogs indicate 48 spoke wheels for the TR3 and 60
spoke wheels for the TR4.  I always thought the 60 spoke wheels were stronger
and therefore better, but there's little or no difference in price - any
comments?   Also, would the 60 spoke wheel look that noticeably wrong on a
TR3, or would it only make a difference to purists?

On the luggage rack,
        1.  Moss shows two types: the "Authentic English Styling...Practical
Good Looks" type for $150, described as hand made in England by craftsmen,
and the other is by AMCO, "the exact dealer installed optional luggage rack
of the 60's and 70's" for $140.  I've only seen the AMCO rack and I think it
looks good.  What's the consensus on the other style?  Is it more original?
        2.  Anyone have a fairly new AMCO luggage rack for sale?